Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I need something that will keep me awake, alert, and reckless all night long. (AKA Laos to the end)

Day Eight: Woke up feeling better and ready for my last full day in Laos. I had no real plans but thought I would wander the town and check things out. I had breakky at the noodle lady next to my hotel, which was awesome. Fresh noodles, super cheap, filled with all sorts of delicious herbs and veggies. I wished I had eaten there daily. My bad. Laos 2012

I wandered around town, just taking in the sites and enjoying Laos. I stumbled across a different temple tucked in behind some old buildings. I took a walk through there and took pics. Eventually, the mid afternoon heat got to me and I went to Lao Lao for lunch, as it came highly recommended by many travellers. I had buffalo laap, sticky rice and Beer Lao. I also inherited a pet cat for the duration of my meal. I treated myself to sticky rice with mango for dessert. Very great place to eat and it was nice and quiet.

Laos 2012 Laos 2012 Laos 2012 Laos 2012 Laos 2012 Beer Lao in a Tiger mug. BLASPHEMY!!!!!

After eating, I went back to wandering and taking more pictures. It’s nice in Laos to be able to walk pretty much everywhere and not worry too much about where you are, as all roads seem to lead back to the main area of town. As I headed back to the guest house, I walked past the night market setting up. Of course, someone was wanting me to buy more scarves and silk. Scarves when it’s 25+ degrees? Are you kidding? No thanks…

Laos 2012

After a chill out at the hotel with some Crown Royal, I went to find a place to eat. I’d walked past this place called The Indestructible Rock a few times and thought it looked interesting. They had a set menu that looked good. After some explaining that I wanted that, which included me taking them to the sign out front and pointing, I had dinner on the way. Dinner was amazing, with some dishes I was not 100% sure what I was eating, but that’s all part of the fun!

Laos 2012 Laos 2012

I went back to the Ikon Bar for a few drinks. There was a couple in there from Texas and they seemed quite nice. I tried a few new cocktails of Lisa’s. She let me try one that had gin in it, but that was not so good. I am not a gin girl. I did try her “Very good Shot” shooter, which was Jager and Peach. Not the best shot, but still pretty good. :) She seriously makes the best cocktails I have ever had. Is it wrong to want to go back to Lao solely to go back to Ikon? I think not.

Laos 2012 Laos 2012

I left the bar in time to make it back before I was locked out. WRONG! I got home before curfew and was still locked out!! WTF!!! Thankfully, again, a slight door rattle roused someone to let me in. Day Nine (Last day, sniff): I woke up and went next door for more noodles. Must have the yummy yummy noodles. Since I had to leave the hotel by 12, but my flight was not til 4pm, I had to get all packed up so that they could clean my room. I walked around town again, just taking pictures of all the fabulous buildings and sites. I ran into the couple from Dallas again and sent them on their way to the market. I eventually had lunch, which was sadly, not the best meal I had in Laos. I should have gone back to Lao Lao, had I known. OH well. Live and learn.

Laos 2012 Laos 2012 Laos 2012

Eventually, they took me to the airport and that was easy enough. My Lao send off was a construction worker cat calling me as I walked over to get a drink before leaving. Nice. Gotta love it.

Laos 2012 Laos 2012

The flights home were uneventful, with the exception of the prick next to me on the flight to Brisbane who was annoyed that I had a sniffly nose. I love Laos. It is one of the best places on earth to go visit and I strongly suggest that everyone go there before it gets too touristy.

No comments:

Post a Comment